If you believe your identity has been stolen, take action immediately.
- File a police report with your local authorities.
- Contact the post office to determine if there has been an unauthorised change of address.
- Notify all your credit card companies.
- Contact the main credit bureaus and have your credit file flagged to halt further access to your identity by the thief.
- Carefully review your credit report from the main credit bureaus for accounts that you do not recognise.
- Contact your bank immediately and set up additional security on your account.
Visit the web site of CIFAS (Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance Scheme) at www.cifas.org.uk for more information on protecting your identity, and what to do if your identity is stolen.