AOL email controls allow you to place restrictions on the exchange of email for each of the screen names on your AOL account.
You can easily allow or block individual AOL screen names (like NewUser3894), individual internet email addresses (like email@example.com) or entire internet domains (like xyz.co.uk).
Choosing the setting that is right for you
Email controls provide seven different options or settings:
How to use email controls:
- Allow email from all senders: Receive all email that is sent to you.
- Allow email only from AOL members: Receive email from any AOL member. You will not receive email from internet addresses.
- Allow email only from People I Know: Receive email from addresses stored in your Address Book or Buddy List, as well as Official AOL Email.
- Block email from all senders: Only if you do not wish to send or receive any email.
- Use a Custom Sender List: Receive email only from those addresses you allow, or receive all email except email from those addresses that you block.
- Block email containing pictures or files: If you do not wish to send or receive any email that contains a file attachment or embedded pictures. This setting can be used in conjunction with any of the above settings.
- Blocked email should be: Permanently deleted or delivered to the Spam Folder.
- Make sure that you are signed onto AOL using your Master Screen Name.
- Go to AOL Keyword: Email Controls (AOL 8.0 and below: Click Set It Up Now).
- Select the screen name for which you'd like to use email controls from the drop-down menu.
- Click the button next to the setting that you would like to activate. A dark circle will appear within the button, indicating that it has been selected.
- If you wish to allow or block specific addresses, click Custom Sender List
- Type the email address (or AOL screen name or internet domain) in the box.
- Click Add. The address you typed will appear in the list.
- Repeat this procedure for each address and/or domain that you would like to block or receive email from.
Note: To block or allow email from an entire domain, simply type in the entire domain name. The domain name is the information following the @ sign in an internet email address. If an email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, then xyz.co.uk is the domain name.
- When you have finished, click Save
- Click Save to store your email controls settings.