If you're trying to connect to AOL but get the error message "AOL was unable to initialise your modem", try one or all of the following steps to resolve the issue:
1. Reset your modem and restart your PC
- If you have an external modem, reset it by turning it off, waiting a few seconds, then turning it back on again.
- Restart your PC, and then try to connect again.
2. Check that the modem is responding
- Click Start, Settings and Control Panel. Windows XP users: Click Start, then Control Panel.
- Double click Modems. Windows 2000/XP users: Click Phone and Modem Options, then select the Modem tab and click Properties.
- Select the Diagnostics tab and click More Info or Query Modem to test the modem. If the modem does not respond correctly, please contact your PC vendor with details of the error message.
3. AOL 8.0 and below: Clear your AOL modem setup
- Start the AOL software.
- On the AOL Sign-On Screen, click Setup and then click Expert Setup.
- Click on the Devices tab, choose your modem from the list and click Delete.
- Exit the AOL software and restart it again. AOL will attempt to auto-detect your modem.
- Then try to connect to AOL again.
4. Run the 'I cannot get connected to the AOL service' Auto Fix (AOL 9.0 only)
Note: Make sure that any external modem is connected, powered on and that AOL is offline.
- Close all open programs, sign-off AOL.
- When offline, click Help (located on the AOL toolbar).
- Click the + beside Resolving Problems, and then click Solving Common AOL Problems.
- Click I cannot get connected to the AOL service.
- Close all programs (including AOL) and click Continue.
5. Repair the AOL Connectivity Service (AOL 9.0 only)
- Click Start, then Settings and then Control Panel. Windows XP users: Click Start and Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove programs. Windows XP users: Click Change/Remove programs.
- Select AOL Connectivity Services and click Add/Remove.
- Select Repair AOL Connectivity Services, click OK to start the repair process.
- Once complete, close all windows, start AOL 9.0 and click Sign On.
- Enter the location name and click Next to continue. AOL will now auto-detect the connection device.
- Confirm connection device by clicking Next and then click Sign on to AOL Now.
If the problem reoccurs, call AOL Member Services on 0870 320 2020 for further technical support.