1. Repair the AOL Connectivity Service
- Click on Start, Settings
and Control Panel. Windows XP users: Click
Start and Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove programs. Windows
XP users: Click Change/Remove programs.
- Select AOL Connectivity Services and
- Select Repair AOL Connectivity Services,
click OK to start the repair process.
- Once complete, close all windows, start AOL 9.0 and click
- Enter the location name and click Next
to continue. AOL will now auto-detect the connection device
- Confirm connection device by clicking Next
and then click Sign on to AOL Now
2. Check for spyware
Spyware, sometimes called 'adware', refers to small programs
that secretly monitor the sites you visit on the Web. In addition
to violating your privacy, these programs can slow down your
PC and cause disconnects from AOL.
What can I do about it?
Install a program that can check for and
remove known spyware files. AOL now provides a free spyware
protection utility for AOL 8.0 and 9.0.
- Right click AOL Systray icon on the taskbar
normally located at the bottom right corner of the screen
near the clock.
- Left click on AOL Spyware Protection
and click Get Updates to check for updates.
- Click Scan Now to begin, the Scan will
last for approximately 10 minutes.
- When complete, click View Details.
Click Block All or Block Item
- Click Close to exit.
3. Perform DUN tests
DUN tests are essentially Dial-Up Networking
tests. They enable us to identify at what stage the DSL connection
breaks down. There are two different tests, the result of
these (pass or fail) will give us valuable information as
to where the connection problem lies.
- Double click the BT Voyager icon
on the taskbar normally located at the bottom right corner
of the screen near the clock.
- Click on AOL Test 1.
- Wait until you see confirmation that the test has completed.
- Click on AOL Test 2 and repeat as above.
If both tests connect, please uinstall
and reinstall your AOL software.
- If the tests fail to connect, remove
and reinstall your ADSL modem.
If the above steps fail, please make a note of the DUN
Error Code(s) and call Member Services on 0870 320 2020.
4. Run 'I cannot get connected to the AOL service'
Note: Make sure that your broadband modem
is connected, powered on and that AOL is offline.
- Close all open programs, sign-off AOL.
- When offline, click Help (located
on the AOL Toolbar).
- Click the + beside Resolving
Problems, then click Solving Common AOL
- Click I cannot get connected to the AOL service.
- Close all programs (including AOL) and click Continue.